The IRS has updated the agency’s periodically-issued operational compliance (OC) list for employer-sponsored retirement plans. This list identifies the legislative provisions or agency guidance issued during the covered period that plans have been required to comply with in operation.
The updated list covers the years 2016 through 2019, and following are those items of legislation or guidance described in the updated OC.
- Hardship distribution changes due to enactment of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018, and subsequent proposed regulations (the OC list confirms IRS informal guidance that the proposed regulations may be relied upon until issued as final)
- Specified disaster relief and resulting retirement plan options
- Final qualified nonelective contribution (QNEC) and qualified matching contribution (QMAC) regulations
- Extensions (several) of temporary nondiscrimination relief for closed defined benefit pension plans
- Extended rollover period for certain retirement plan loan offsets and improper IRS tax levies on participant assets
- Mid-year changes to 401(k) safe harbor plans
- Final regulations on cash balance/hybrid retirement plans
- Final regulations on partial annuity distributions from defined benefit pension plans
- Proposed regulations on normal retirement age in governmental pension plans
- Restrictions on distributions during bankruptcy for collectively-bargained single-employer defined benefit pension plans
- Benefit restrictions for certain defined benefit pension plans of cooperatives and charitable organizations